Happy New Year Everyone! A time for new beginnings, and for many of us, an overwhelming sense of needing to do it all and do it right. Since “health” seems to be a common topic of New Years promises and resolutions, I wanted to share a few of my favorite HEALTHY things to hopefully make your transitions and resolutions a little easier, and fun!
- Camu Camu Powder. I am sure you are thinking “bless you.” I promise I typed that correctly. Camu Camu powder is a superfood that comes in a powder form and can easily be mixed into smoothies, juices, and even water. It is packed with vitamin C, antioxidants, and some amino acids. People have found Camu Camu powder to help with ailments such as the common cold, and others claim that it is an energy booster. Regardless, we can all use a few more antioxidants in our lives, and I have been making a habit of putting a teaspoon into some water, tea, or green juice every morning.
- Matcha Green Tea. It was brought to my attention that my iced venti sweetened green tea from Starbucks may or may not have been as healthy as I had envisioned it to be. Who knew? Sure, green tea is good for you, but in order to get all of the benefits it offers, matcha green tea is probably your best bet. Matcha tea actually uses the ground up green tea leaves in order to keep all of the antioxidants and nutrients right in your cup. I have tried a few brands, and found Jade Monk to be my favorite. It comes in individual packets and can easily be mixed hot or cold (wonderful for moms always on the move). My favorite flavors are the Palau Peach and Simply Matcha. Go ahead and get your drink on with these.
- barre3. I have mentioned it before and I will mention it again, if you are looking for a form of exercise that is not harsh on your body, follows off the scale victories, and has a fantastic community for support to meet your goals, barre3 is the way to go. I have tried several gyms. I have tried holding myself accountable alone. I have tried many, many, many things, and barre3 has provided me with a fantastic means of reaching and maintaining my personal fitness goals. I truly can’t say enough about the actual practice of barre3, along with the amazing community that the North Scottsdale owner, Karie Johnson (and her TEAM!), has lovingly built. barre3 is a combination of yoga, pilates, and barre. I highly encourage you to go and try one class if you have not already. And when you can’t make it in to the studio, there are online classes available to help! Coming from someone who used to avoid exercise like the plague, I have been a member of the studio since August 2014, and I am still finding ways to challenge myself.
- Trunk Club. Okay, so this is more of a treat for yourself rather than a healthy tip. But once you follow all of the healthy tips, you deserve a treat, RIGHT? Or maybe part of your plan for the new year is to revamp your closet? Mama’s with little ones… have you found yourself in dire need to do some clothes shopping? But you can’t, because dressing rooms and smaller kids induce day drinking? Enter Trunk Club. You are connected with a personal stylist online, you discuss your clothing fits and preferences (casual, work, dressy… you name it). Your stylist sends you a trunk full of clothes (My stylist is Kaitlyn, and she is Ah-Mazing). You have 10 days to try everything on. You are charged for what you keep, you send everything else back (by dropping it at UPS or scheduling a pickup). HELLO! Trying on clothes in the privacy of your own home during nap-time? There is no monthly subscription fee. Trunks are sent on your request. Most of the clothing and brands come from Nordstrom. What more do you need to know?! The price point is a little on the higher end (no different than what you would find at Nordstrom), but TC has allowed me to find some great quality pieces that I was due to invest in. Such as the black skinny jeans that do my pear shape some major favors. Treat yourself already, and click on that link to sign up!
- Show Grace. No link to click here. Just show yourself some grace this year. Show others grace. Especially other mamas. Allow yourself a break, and know that you can’t do it all. Be proud of what you do accomplish every single day, even if that means you just kept the kids alive. You are absolutely doing enough and you are enough. Take it easy on yourself this year and try to make some moments to slow down and enjoy the ride. Because I think we can all agree, it is one crazy ride.
What are some of your favorite healthy things? Do you have any healthy goals for the new year?
*I am the furthest person from a medical professional or playing one on TV. Please check with your doctor before adding any supplements to or changing your diet, as well as attempting a new exercise regimen.