Wow, it’s back to school time already! Hope you had a fun summer break with the kids and are prepared for a wonderful school year. For those of you with very young children, now is the ideal time to experience activities throughout the valley. With older kids in school, there will be fewer crowds and an entirely new set of activities to enjoy with your child.
I’m excited to share that Mom Index is growing and that we will continue to be a comprehensive resource for Valley moms and parents. In addition to offering a great events calendar, Mom Index keeps you informed about everything related to raising kids in the Valley of the Sun.
Join Us (It’s Free) and be sure tell us you “Like” us on Facebook and to follow us on Twitter. We post a “MI Find of the Day” every day of the year and strive to keep you up-to-date about important recalls, new products and services and attractions to make your everyday life a little easier and brighter.
Finally, we just formed our “Mom Index Challenge” team for the upcoming Phoenix Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure®. We want to be the largest team for the Phoenix event so be sure to join us on 10.10.10 as we walk and run for a great cause!
Remember, stay cool and have fun in August!
Below are Mom Index’s top August recommendations:
- The Shops at Norterra Back 2 School Bash & Fall Fashion Show: August 7 – Free Event. Live music, food sampling, and special attractions. Located just off I-17 at Happy Valley Road.
- Alltel Ice Den Canadian Beach Party: Missed the July party? Now you can experience the party on August 8, 1:30pm-4pm. $6/person. Snow pile, bounce house, skating, DJ, games. Alltel Ice Den 9375 E. Bell Road, Scottsdale, AZ 85260 • (480) 585-RINK
- AMC 2010 Summer MovieCamp®: Don’t miss the last MovieCamp® of the summer on August 10. Doors open 9am shows at 10am – $1 admission. All admission and concession proceeds will benefit two AMC charities, Variety – The Children’s Charity and the Will Rogers Institute. See a list of participating theatres or search by zip code to get tickets. Tickets for each week will be on sale approximately one week prior to the scheduled show date.
- Cultural Trolley tours of Downtown Scottsdale: August 14, Ultimate Art & Cultural Tours provide free Cultural Trolley tours of Downtown Scottsdale 10:30 a.m. the second Saturday of every month. Tours begin at the Old Town Farmer’s Market parking lot on the northwest corner of Brown and Second Street. Tour the Old Mission and then board a trolley for a two-hour guided tour of the arts district, Civic Center campus, Hotel Valley Ho, Southbridge and the Waterfront. Call for reservations (480) 634-6850.
- 2 Seconds is Too Long Event: August 15, 2pm-4pm. Fulton Homes is teaming up with 92.3 KTAR, 98.7 The Peak and the American Red Cross Grand Canyon Chapter to educate parents and children on water safety with their 2 Seconds Is Too Long Water Safety Campaign. Superstition Springs Center (on the lower level in front of Sears) 6555 E. Southern Ave. Mesa, AZ 85201.
- Kid’s Club at CityCenter of CityNorth: August 19 4pm-5pm. Club meets every third Thursday of the month – fun and free activity for kids ages 2-13. In Fountain Court, across from Mojo Yogurt 8/19 -Michelle Hawkins will teach artistic wire art pendants. 5515 E. Deer Valley Dr. Phoenix, AZ 85054, 480-319-8700.
- Glendale Friday Nite Lights: August 20, 5-9pm. Historic Downtown Glendale – Catlin Court, east of 58th Avenue and Palmaire. Enjoy late night shopping and dining, and a real hometown atmosphere. Stroll along brick-lined sidewalks and enjoy charming bungalows-turned shops. For more information call 623-930-4500 or visit www.VisitGlendale.com.
- Childsplay Open House and Ice Cream Social: August 21, 10am-2pm – Free Event. Childsplay Sybil B. Harrington Campus of Imagination and Wonder. 900 South Mitchell Drive Tempe, AZ 85281.
- Desert Botanical Garden Flashlight Tour: August 28, 7-9pm. Don’t miss the last tour of the summer. Sensory adventure for all ages where you will see, hear and feel the desert night with its nighthawks, snakes, insects and night-blooming flowers. Desert Botanical Garden 1201 N. Galvin Parkway Phoenix, AZ 85008 480-941-1225.
- Arizona Science Center Science Story Time: August 28, 11am-1pm. Join Arizona Science Center at Changing Hands Bookstore for a little light reading and science explorations! On the 4th Saturday of every month Arizona Science Center will be reading some of your favorite books and offering some free science activities for kids of all ages to enjoy! Changing Hands Bookstore 6428 S. McClintock Dr. #C101 Tempe, AZ 85283-3936.
Allison Small is the founder and owner of Mom Index, the premier online resource for Valley moms and parents. As a mother of three children ages 2, 5 & 7, she is passionate about sharing everything she has learned about motherhood and raising children in the Valley of the Sun. Since launching Mom Index in February 2010, Allison has added a blog and continues to support our local communities and to provide everyday parenting