Life as a mom can be wonderfully chaotic, but amidst the juggling act of adulting and parenting, it’s essential not to neglect your own self-care, especially when it comes to your skin. While time might be a rare commodity, these practical skincare tips can help you maintain healthy and glowing skin even on your busiest days.
- Multi-Tasking Products: Look for skincare products that serve multiple purposes. A tinted SPF can offer light coverage and sun protection in a single step, saving you time in the morning. A retinol with hydrating properties can brighten, moisturize and smooth the skin at night.
- Straight to the Point Routine: While I’m sure we all would love to have the time for a 10-step Korean style skincare regimen, that’s not realistic for the majority of us. I find that most people tap out after 4-steps which is why multi-tasking products are key. Cleanser, serum, moisturizer and SPF curated for your specific skin type and goals are really about all you need.
- Reapply SPF on the Go: Sun protection here in Arizona is a MUST year round. Nothing ages our skin or makes melasma (brown spots) pop up faster. Yet rarely do we reapply sunscreen throughout the day. In truth, sunscreen is only effective for two hours after application. With all the running around that mom’s do, this means a lot of skin damaging sun exposure.
While most find keeping liquid sunscreen on hand extremely inconvenient (never leave it in the car while it’s hot out!), I recommend keeping a stick and powder in your purse or car at all times. Powdered sunscreen won’t be ruined during the hot summer months and is easy to brush on yourself or kids throughout the day, while the stick can be used like deodorant and quickly rubs in.
Pro Tip: Don’t forget to reapply to your neck, chest and hands before driving!
4. Set aside a little pamper time: Whether it’s throwing on a mask one night a week after the kids go to bed (I like this one because you can sleep in it) and doing a little gua sha (here is a simple 5 minute routine you can squeeze in), or actually getting yourself in for a professional facial every 4-6 weeks, your skin (and mind) will thank you.
5. Prioritize Sleep: Did you know that the average mom loses 650 hours of sleep in the first year of her baby’s life!? In a recent study done by scientists at UCLA showed how this can actually age a new mom three to seven years! Proving a good night’s sleep really is the ultimate beauty secret. While this is easier said than done, aim for consistent sleep patterns to improve the quality of your sleep. Developing this good habit will directly affect your skin’s appearance, not to mention your whole body..
Remember, your well-being matters. Incorporating even a few moments of self-care into your routine can make a significant difference in how you feel, your confidence and how your skin looks. While being a busy mom is a rewarding journey, taking care of yourself will ultimately allow you to take better care of your loved ones.