You’ve probably thought it or said it out loud at one point or another in your lifetime that you are too busy to workout. The truth is though that there is time. Some days your workouts will take a little more creativity when you only have 5-10 minutes here and there.
People considered to be active take 10,000 steps a day. This is definitely a great place to start if you don’t currently get this many steps. The 10k steps is on top of your fitness routine as well. Figure out ways to work this into your day whether you are a SAHM or head to a 9-5 job. Instead of calling/emailing someone in your office to ask a question, get up and go ask. Take a portion of your lunch break to go for a walk. Every hour get up and walk around the building. Take your kids to the park and walk while they play. Park your car further away when headed to a store. At night if you are tv watcher, walk around your house on the commercials. These are just some ideas to get this great habit going.
If you currently are tackling those daily steps and need a little help squashing the excuse of no time to workout, check out these top 5 workout ideas for the busy mom. No gym membership needed.
- Tabata: Tabata is 20 seconds on an exercise and 10 seconds off for 4 minutes. Pick two moves and alternate back and forth (Example: squats/ burpees). The 20 seconds on is completely all out followed by 10 seconds recovery and repeat. If you have more time add more Tabatas. Everyone can find 4 minutes in their day to squeeze some movement. Download a Tabata timer app or just use the stop watch function on your phone.
- 100 club: Come up with 4 exercises that will be completed at a 100 reps total and then break them up throughout your day. Example workout: 100 squats, 100 push ups, 100 bicycle crunches, 100 mountain climbers.
- Jump Rope: Did you know that 10 minutes of jumping rope is equivalent to an 8 mile run? You can either jump rope for time or select a number of jumps you want to obtain. Maybe every couple hours you squeeze in 300 jumps or aim to hit 1000 jumps for the day.
- Peloton App: No you do not need to have the Peloton bike or treadmill to use their app. Do you like that group fitness feel but can’t always get to the gym? This is it! They have all types of classes and length options which is perfect for days when you need something quicker and also when you have more time. You have the ability to join live classes or a previously live class. All the instructors push you to your max and motivate along the way. Class types are yoga, meditation, strength, tread, cycle, and bootcamp. Times range from 10 minutes to 60 minutes.
- Kira Stokes App: Kira Stokes is a celebrity fitness trainer and she has created some incredible workouts. Her workout app has many class options at a reasonable price. Classes consist of strictly strength, cardio, or a mixture. She has classes at all lengths.
Based on a recent poll I did, most people think they need 30-60 minutes to get good a workout in. It’s just not true. If you only have 10 minutes a day and you used those minutes to workout imagine where you would be in a year. Do you think you would be in better shape than if you did nothing those 10 minutes? Yes, you would be in better shape.
Your body was meant to move so let’s go. Squeeze in what you can on the days you have less time but also maximize your time when you have more time. Your schedule will never be perfect so build these healthy habits now to keep you going from now till 90.
Share your workout ideas for the busy mom with our community in the comments.