With school in full swing again this year it is time to start thinking (if you haven’t already) about getting your kids out of their summer routine and focusing on more than just their popsicles. Today I want to share with you 10 foods that help your kids concentrate and get the most out of their school year.
- Blueberries – Blueberries are full of antioxidants that stimulate blood and oxygen into the brain, so basically right where you want it. Studies actually have found that blueberries actually enhance short term memory which is critical to focus. So add a few in their morning smoothie or homemade granola bar to get them off on the right foot.
- Flax Seed– Flax seeds have magnesium, omega 3 fatty acids, B Vitamins and fiber – all of which help improve mental clarity and focus. Flax seed meal is a really common ingredient in my daughter’s smoothies as well as one of her favorite yogurt topping. For your pickier children it is super easy to hide in pancakes and muffins!
- Water- I know this sounds a little boring and something that us Arizona moms know a lot about, but hydration is vital when it comes to focus. It is not just important in the heat but it provides your kid’s brain energy for function and memory. You can get a little more creative for your kids and spa water is a perfect example of that (that yummy fruit infused water we find at some of our favorite local resorts!)
- Dark Chocolate– Moving onto something your kids might be a little more excited about, chocolate! Dark chocolate stimulates endorphins and serotonin to improve mood. Dark Chocolate also has magnesium which is a de-stressor so feel free to sneak a little into your child’s lunch as a treat!
- Leafy green vegetables– think kale and romaine (unless of course there is a recall), leafy green vegetables are full of antioxidants and carotenoids which boost your brain function. They also have a ton of B-Vitamins that helps with memory and focus and folic acids which improves mental clarity.
- Avocados– not only are these guys packed with fiber to keep your kids fuller longer but they also increase blood flow to all the organs. Try starting their day off with some avocado toast! Avocados also have vitamin k and folate to help improve memory and concentration.
- Salmon– Salmon contains omega 3 fatty acids and we already talked about how important those were for memory and mental performance, but fish has also been proven to help improve your mood. (This is why some mommas take fish oil supplements). But since your kids aren’t likely to swallow those, salmon will have to do!
- Walnuts– Eating a handful of walnuts a day can improve your cognitive health. They are high in antioxidants and rich in amino acids to help you focus. Plus, they also look like a brain so, there’s got to be something there.
- Eggs- These guys are a simple way to start your day or you might consider packing a hardboiled egg in your little’s lunch. You may want to peel back the shell for them in order to make it faster and easier for them to eat. Also, you do want the whole egg because the yolk is the actually the richest source of the B complex Choline, which is associated with better neurological function. (Say that five times fast!)
- Turmeric– This root is very trendy right now. It is immune boosting and increases the brain oxygen intake which helps with alertness and the ability to process information. Try it in a golden milk latte or sprinkle on top of oven roasted veggies.
I hope you get your littles eating these 10 foods throughout the school year and if you have tricks for helping your little focus write them in the comments below (help a momma out!)