It seems everyone is on the baby train- the second baby train that is. As a new mother to two wonderful little children (both under 18 months) I have a new found appreciation for all of the ‘practical’ gifts I have been given, as well as an understanding of what a new mother of more than one child really ‘needs’ (although she may not know it just yet).
When your friend/sister/co-worker has their first baby there are MANY things they need, from car seats to cribs, clothes to bottles, toys to diapers- their needs are obvious. By the time the second (or more) comes around those needs blur a bit because chances are they still have many of those items from their first go around.
As the announcements of second babies surround many of us, I thought it would be appropriate to share a list of some things that I was given as well as some ideas for the things that a new mom ‘really’ needs/wants.
- Diapers– in ALL sizes and brands (this goes for disposable as well as cloth diapering moms)
- Baby Wipes!!– This is one that most people forget, new moms are often given MANY diapers and ZERO wipes.
- Gift cards to ‘family friendly’ restaurants– A $30 gift card to somewhere the new family can go out (and not think about cooking dinner- or worse cleaning the kitchen) does wonders for renewing a tired Mama.
- A clean house– What woman with a little one running around while in labor has time to tidy their house? Well, not me. Thankfully I have some wonderful women in my life that cleaned my house (I mean deep cleaned) while I was at the hospital after having EACH of my kids. There is nothing better; I repeat NOTHING better than walking into your front door as a family of 4 and unexpectedly being met with a sparkling home.
- Household cleaning supplies– This may sound silly, but I was given this house cleaning ‘kit’ from Costco, with every type of cleaning supply I could need. It was the most wonderful thing to not have to run out to the store to pick up toilet bowl cleaner with 2 kids!
- Toilet Paper/Paper Towels– Again, like the previous items- you really DO run out of these things at the WORST times!! One big package of each can help that new mama to avoid a solo trip to the store until she feels ready.
- Something special for the new baby– If the new mom already has everything she needs, get something she doesn’t need. A special toy or blanket or keepsake that is just for that child.
- A baby book– Ok, maybe you all had if figured out when you had your second child, but it wasn’t until I was in the recovery room with my daughter that I realized I forgot to get her a baby book!
- Things for the big brother or sister– this is especially important for families that are having a baby the second time around that is the same sex as the first child. They already have all the clothes they need for the baby, but their older child is probably growing out of their clothes and toys faster than they can keep up with.
- Most importantly- something for the new mom! Whether it is lip gloss, fuzzy slippers, a manicure, it is important for her to know SHE is more than just her new baby and that she is loved too!
Are you a mother of more than one child? Is there anything that someone did for you that was very special? What would you add to the list?
Jess is a Phoenix native currently residing in Mesa with her hubby Luke, son Parker (18 months) and daughter Piper (2 months). She loves investing in deep relationships, playing the ‘save lots of money’ game, cloth diapering, and all things domestic (save for cleaning). She loves being a mommy and wife, has recently started Parker and Piper Trading Co. and strives to live transparently while updating family and friends on her everyday life.