Today we’re so excited to be starting a brand-spankin’ NEW SERIES on SMB – Steph vs. Joy. We’re going to take a little break from Fri Date Night and give you a little glimpse into our own homes and hearts – the good, the bad and the ugly. It’s our hope that by welcoming you into our lives you might be encouraged and entertained (yes – it will probably make you laugh a bit).
To start – you must know right off the bat – we’re VERY different. 🙂 Which will make this series all that more fun. Most everything about Joy and me is as opposite as you can get. But please keep in mind, we both realize that we’re not perfect. We make lots of mistakes and neither of us will say that our way is the only way. So without further ado…
Steph vs. Joy – Baby Essentials List
Oooooh the possibilities!!! If I were totally honest with you, I’d have to say that upon finding out we were pregnant I couldn’t help but be excited about all of the fun things mom’s get to buy for themselves and their little munchkins. Here are my Top 5 Baby Essentials (in no particular order):
1. Stylish Diaper Bag. You know – the kind of diaper bag that’s cute yet functional. (alright – maybe more cute than functional) After much research I settled on Skip Hop’s Studio Diaper Tote and I LOVE it!
2. Itzbeen. I certainly didn’t imagine that upon being inducted into the world of motherhood, I would quickly lose my mind and my ability to keep track of time. The Itzbeen helped me keep track of all of the essentials in baby world – diaper changes, feedings and sleep.
3. The Miracle Blanket. Call it a fluke or not – but the first day we used this thing our little princess slept from 10:00 pm to 6:30 am. I couldn’t believe it!! My hubby awoke that morning and said (and I quote) “It really is a miracle!”
4. Baby Bjorn Bib. Yes – in motherhood, the little things like Bibs make a world of difference 🙂
5. Beaba Babycook. The Beaba Babycook is a little glimpse into all of the great things God has in store for us in heaven (yes – I’m hoping that I will still cook in heaven :)). Seriously. It’s so simple. You steam and puree in the same container.
This is so perfect. I admit, when we started talking about this list I thought “surely we will have some overlap” – we are friends afterall 🙂 This certainly shows you how our minds think so differently.
When I first started dreaming about bringing home baby, I wondered… “what do I really need?” In typical Joy-fashion, let’s start with a definition, shall we?
/əˈsɛnʃəl/ [uh–sen-shuhl]–adjective1. absolutely necessary; indispensable: Discipline is essential in an army.
So, I will focus on the things that you ABSOLUTELY NEED when you bring home that little bundle of cuddles!
1. A Crib or Bassinet – Baby needs a place to sleep so that I can sleep. Now, I’m only concerned with 1) safety, 2) functionality and 3) looks – originally, I dreamed of a new dark chocolate brown crib with a fancy high back… but a friend offered to give us theirs. So we took it. I am very happy with it. It’s light on my wallet and matches my decor. Two wins!
2. 5 outfits per size – This, I think, depends on how frequently you do laundry. I was doing it daily or every other day because she was spitting up on everything. But, I also noticed that I had about five outfits that I loved and she was growing so quickly out of them that I wanted to enjoy her in those before putting her in clothes that were second string. So, start off with five NB size and remember that size 3 Months is actually 0-3 Months. (If you have a bigger baby i.e. closer to 8-10 lbs, then you may just jump right into size 3 Months)
3. Burp clothes – Now, I needed these more than most since Reagan had a nasty case of Reflux, but I still find them super handy and they can be used on multiple children.
4. A functional diaper bag that will last… a while – I feel lame saying that I want my diaper bag to last for all my kiddos, but that is what my mind is thinking. So, I got a wonderfully practical one… and I absolutely love it!
5. A killer walking/jogging stroller – I got the Phil and Ted’s Sport and I love it with all my heart. This is VERY important to me for my mental health. I love nature. I love being outside and I love to walk to the store, neighbors house, the pool or just around the block. It is as important to me as food and water. So, for my mental health, a stroller that can hold its own on a trail AND hold TWO babies if I need it to is my lifesaver. Seriously, I’m sure it’s saving me thousands of dollars in counseling.
Steph here again… Now after reading over Joy’s list I’ve got a couple comments. Hey – I can have the last word, right?
1) Yes – we do have a crib, outfits, burp cloths and a stroller.
2) If asked to define “essential” as it relates to my list I’d say my definition would look more like this:
1. not absolutely necessary, but worth having around (oh – and it should be kinda fun too:))
Well that wraps up our first Steph vs Joy post on Baby Essentials. Till next week…toodles!